Be Dog Smart
Dogs Trust are offering FREE dog safety workshops to ensure we can all live together safely and happily at home and in the community. Whether children own dogs or not it is important that they learn how to meet dogs in the correct way, learn what to do if they are scared and develop a respect and empathy for dogs they meet.
We also offer special antenatal classes for parents who are expecting, offering advice on how to prepare your dog for your new arrival and how to manage safe interactions once the baby is born.
If you would like to arrange a 'Be Dog Smart' workshop at your local school, antenatal/postnatal group, library, community centre or other suitable community location contact your local Education and Community Officer directly via their email or phone number listed.
We also offer comprehensive 'Be Dog Smart' resources which are available to everyone. You can order printed copies of our literature through this online order form or download from links below the videos.
Please check out our brand new Be Dog Smart videos packed with lots of easy to understand messages for your children.
Be Dog Smart out and about:
Be Dog Smart at home:
Be Dog Smart Quiz:
Be Dog Smart!
10 easy tips to remind kids how to stay safe around dogs:
- Beware of disturbing dogs that are eating or sleeping.
- Even if for fun, don't ever tease a dog please.
- Don't approach a dog with no owner around.
- Only stroke a dog when the owner says 'Yes, you can.'
- Get the dog to sniff your hand first, then stroke gently.
- Stange dog approaching? Stand still, look away, cross your arms.
- Move calmly and quietly around any dog.
- All that hugging and kissing - you might like it, not all dogs do.
- Remember all dogs have teeth.
- Treat dogs with kindness and respect.