I never imagined i would be writing a post like this in February but the mini heat wave got me thinking!
So here are my top tips for keeping our canines cool in the warm weather!
There are many precautions that can be taken to keep your dog safe and well on a hot day.
- Don't excessively walk your dog
- Avoid walking your dog at the hottest times of the day - often morning or later in the evenings can be cooler
- Always take plenty of water with you when out with your dog
- Make sure the dog has shade to cool off in, either inside or when out
- Take your dog to the groomers and keep their fur clipped
- Dogs can get sun burned - especially white dogs or those with little hair so try and keep them out of direct sun
- Think twice about any car trips with your dog - avoid congested roads or busy times of day when they could overheart in the car if you are caught up in traffic
- If driving with your dog plan your journey considering cooler times of the day and places to take breaks
- Don't leave your dog in a car - as temperatures rise, dogs overheat quickly and leaving them for as little as 20 minutes could prove fata