Taking The Lead
Alongside our schools Education Programme, we offer a comprehensive education programme for offenders.
We believe that the best way to tackle irresponsible dog ownership is through prevention, and education is fundamental to this. We invest time and resources promoting responsible dog ownership and the welfare of dogs in a variety of establishments, including the secure estate.
We actively engage learners in educational activities, which encourage responsible attitudes towards other living beings. We believe our responsible dog ownership messages develop empathy, in the hope that we can improve the welfare of dogs in their communities.
Our aim is to encourage responsible attitudes towards dog welfare and develop empathy for other living beings by engaging learners in educational activities that:
• Improve learners’ basic knowledge of dog welfare
• Increase learners’ knowledge of dog behaviour
• Raise awareness of the law regarding dog ownership
• Develops their understanding that actions have consequences
• Improves their interaction and communication skills
• Raise awareness of disposable dog culture
• Encourage positive choices regarding dog ownership
Our Taking the Lead trainers deliver the programme in various settings and establishments including:
• Secure Training Centres
• Secure Children’s Homes
• National Probation Service
• Youth Offending Service
• Various Alternative Education Provisions
We offer, short and long courses and one-off workshops depending on the suitability of the learners and the potential for achieving positive outcomes for dogs. The focus for our programme is over 18’s but we can offer provision to learners of 14 years and up which can be discussed with your local Trainer.
How to Book
If you would like further information or are interested in booking one of our Trainers, please contact your local Youth Trainer or email [email protected]